Are you moving to Canada and you do not know what to pack? This post is for you. Congratulations on making it this far in relocating to Canada. Whether you are moving to Canada as a student or relocating permanently, this post is for you. I have put together a packing list for relocating to Canada.
This list is much more tailored to the Nigerian immigrant community. If you’re reading this from another country, just bring the essentials from your home country. Knowing what I know now, this is what I would have packed.
Packing List For Relocating To Canada
This list might seem a lot but it is definitely worth paying excess luggage for or shipping some items from Nigeria to Canada.
General Items To Bring To Canada
- Passport – check if expired else renew before travelling
- Hold Cash (USD) – you can change a bit at the airport for food. I will also suggest having a domiciliary /foreign card.
- All the important documents in your life
- O level result,
- BSc degree
- Land documents
- Birth Certificate
- Obtain a Nigeria / International driver’s license
- Needle & thread
- Universal adaptor
- A few traditional outfits
- Quilted jacket
- Long sleeve clothing
- Sweat pants
- Attachment (different hair colours)
- Hair Supplies such as relaxer
- Satin bonnet
- Brow pencil,
- Face powder (Nigerian brands such as Zaron),
- Black soap
- Shea Butter
- Video game console
- Baby Formula
- A couple of baby clothes
- Dry pepper
- Dried fish
- Dried periwinkle
- Golden morn
- Fruit n fibre
- Ofada rice
- Locust beans
- Dry bitter leaf
- Zobo leaves
- Balm – Aboniki/Robb
- Anti-malaria medication
For more information on what you can bring to Canada, check here.
What you cannot bring to Canada
There are so many things you are not allowed to bring to Canada. Here are a few things you cannot bring :
- Raw meat or fish
The great thing is once you are well settled in Canada, you will find African stores and restaurants around you to buy a couple of these items.
Is there anything that is missing from this list? Tell me in the comment section